Do you have a great idea for an application for Berkeley students? Interested in sharing your idea with influential IT leaders? Want the opportunity to win cash prizes for your application? Every year the Student Tech Council hosts a web app competition which concludes with an opportunity to showcase your application to campus IT officials and others.
We expect competition entries to be working apps that can actually be used by the student body. This means the app should have few to no bugs and a finished look. The STC would rather have a modest idea excellently implemented than a poorly executed 'proof of concept' app.
Successful apps may be considered for adoption by the campus, and their developers may be invited to join an app development incubator in Information Services & Technology (IST) and/or Educational Technology Services (ETS).
How to Win and Prizes:
All submitted applications will be reviewed by the STC, with the best 5-8 moving on to the final round of juding (see judging critera below). The top applications will have their application judged by a panel of campus officials who will then determine which apps receive the following prizes:
1st Place: $2,000
2nd Place: $1,000
3rd Place: $500
You must be a registered UC Berkeley student for the appropriate semester to participate.
Your application will be judged on the following criteria.
- Sustainability: Will the app remain relevant over time? Will the app work across browsers or mobile devices?
- Implementation: Is the app solidly implemented? Has it been debugged? Is it well documented? Does it have a finished look and feel?
- Benefit to Students: Does the web app address an unmet student need or improve upon a current process or resource? How accessible is it? Is it optimized for mobile use?
- Ease of Use: Is the application easy to use for a wide range of students?
- Innovation: How innovative is the app? Will other students find the idea novel or interesting?